Episode 2: Luiz Roberto Saldanha – California Coffee Estates; Capricornio Coffee
In this episode, Luiz discusses the benefits and challenges of growing at low altitude and atypical latitude, about addressing challenges through innovating drying techniques, about promoting quality coffees and challenging paradigms, and about the value of education and mentorship.
2:03 – Luiz’s Background
6:00 – Learning from Coffee “Gurus"
10:43 – The Challenges of Growing at Around the Tropic of Capricorn – Necessary Innovations
17:33 – Initial Experimentation
21:53 – Latitude Paradigm
24:45 – Latitude vs Altitude –Misconceptions and Reception
28:26 – Takeaways from the Q Processing Program
34:25 – Common Processing Mistakes
36:22 – Interactions with the Coffee Producing Community
38:42 – Just Scratching the Surface of Coffee’s Potential with PHP
41:31 – Wrap-Up
· Learn more about CQI’s Post-Harvest Processing program: Post-Harvest Processing (coffeeinstitute.org)
· Stay up to date with what’s happening at CQI: News (coffeeinstitute.org)
· Follow Luiz on Instagram: @luiz.california
· Follow Capricornio Coffees on Instagram: @capricorniocoffees
· Learn more about Capricornio Coffees on their website: https://www.capricorniocoffees.com.br/
· Lallemand is the sponsor of this season of the CQI podcast.